Although it was never actually linked to any real side effects, thimerosal (mercury) was removed from almost all childhood vaccines in 1999.
Thimerosal, a preservative, only remained in flu vaccines for a few years, but thimerosal free flu vaccines have been available since 2003.
Although most anti-vaccine groups have moved on to other conspiracy theories to scare parents, some still falsley claim that vaccines continue to be made with thimerosal and that thimerosal is dangerous.
Get more information about thimerosal and vaccines:
- CDC - Thimerosal in Vaccines Thimerosal
- Thimerosal in Vaccines
- Vaccine Ingredients – Thimerosal
- Timeline: Thimerosal in Vaccines (1999-2010)
- FDA - Thimerosal in Vaccines Questions and Answers
- Thimerosal and Vaccines
- Thimerosal as a Preservative in Vaccines
- Thimerosal and Autism Studies
- Mercury in vaccines as a cause of autism and autism spectrum disorders (ASDs): A failed hypothesis
- Is The CDC Hiding Data About Mercury, Vaccines, And Autism?
- What? Removing thimerosal from vaccines caused the autism epidemic?
- No, the thimerosal in the flu vaccine does not explain why autism rates did not go down